Science and the Bible
It is not “either or”! Science supports Biblical statements
Clearly the Bible is not a scientific textbook! On the other hand, the writers in both Old and New Testaments claim to convey transcendent knowledge and absolute truth. That is, it is claimed that the biblical text conveys unparalleled, unique, extraordinary, and superior knowledge – knowledge beyond the grasp of man. It justifies this claim by stating the text is God-inspired.
If we disagree with such a stance then we can check out the biblical claims through science, both theoretical and experimental. Here’s a sample of some biblical claims to check out.
Some Biblical Scientific Statements
- Earth’s dimensions: These are not random, they are designed
“Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth … who determined its measurements?” (Job 38:4-5)
- Earth is Round: The Bible indicates that the earth is round:
“He who sits above the circle of the earth …” Isa 40:22)
This description is certainly appropriate when the earth is viewed from space since it appears circular
- Astronomy: God brought arrogant Job down to earth when He asked him:
“Can you bind the cluster of the Pleiades, or loose the belt of Orion?” (Job 38.31)
The term “cluster” actually conveys scientific truth i.e. many stars, and the term “loose” conveys the fact that the stars in Orion’s belt are actually trying to fly apart!
- Noah’s Ark: He was instructed to build the Ark according to certain basic dimensions:
“The length of the Ark shall be 300 cubits, its width 50 cubits, and its height 30 cubits … You shall make it with lower, second and third decks” (Gen 6:15-16)
Amazingly, these basic dimensions align well with modern navel practice!
- Solar Eclipse: The Sun’s diameter is about 400 times that of the Moon. Despite this difference the sun-moon-earth distances are such that we see a beautiful corona of the Sun (conveniently permitting astronomers to analyse the Sun’s atmosphere). Is this a celestial “fluke” – or design?
“In the beginning God created … the earth … and God made two great lights … the lesser light to rule the night” (Genesis 1)
- Mathematics: An irrational number called “the golden ratio” Φ = 1.6180339… is mysteriously linked to such diverse concepts as quantum physics, our solar system, DNA and plants. And the related Fibonacci sequence is embedded in music. Pure chance, or God’s design?
“For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes … have been clearly seen … through what has been made” (Rom 1:8)
- Medical science has shown that on the eighth day of a new-born male the amount of blood clotting factor prothrombin present in the body is more than 100% above normal, and this is normally the only day in the male’s life when this is the case. This aligns with biblical knowledge:
“He who is eight days old among you shall be circumcised” (Gen 17:12)
- Deep sea springs: Hydrothermal vents called “black smokers” are found on the seabed. They are actually hot-water springs. The (ignorant) man Job was questioned about such things:
“Have you entered into the springs of the sea?” (Job 38:16)
- Division of light: The man Job was also questioned about the splitting of white light into colours (clearly an unfair question!):
“By what way is light divided?” (Job 38:24, NASB)
- Knowledge Increase: Over the past 100 years there has been an amazing increase in scientific understanding, as in communications technology, medical science and space science:
“… at the time of the end … knowledge shall increase” (Dan 12:4)
- Evolution: Darwinian (macro) evolution is now being challenged by ‘Intelligent Design’ and the fossil records. Evolution is, after all, a scientific theory to be tested:
“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the cleverness of the clever I will set aside” (1 Cor 1:19, NASB)
- Climate Change: The prophet Isaiah was shown a time when the earth would experience extreme heat, drought and storms:
“the earth mourns and withers, the world fades and withers … the inhabitants of the earth are burned and few men are left … the windows above [the floodgates of the heavens, NIV] are opened” (Isa 24:18) (Isa 24:3-6,18)
- Cashless Trading: The book of Revelation foresees a hi-tech trading system:
“He causes all … to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads … no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark” (Rev 13:16-17)
While the tremendous technical and scientific accomplishments of NASA demonstrate vividly that humans can achieve previously inconceivable feats, we also are humbled by the realisation that Earth is just a tiny “blue marble” in the cosmos. [NASA history]